Friday, September 5, 2008

I Heart Bella Bleu



Scott and I ended up with Bella because of my brother-in-law's dog, Desmo. Desmo was just an incredibly great dog and I loved him like he was my own. During the process of debating what kind of dog to get, we found out that Desmo's sister Scooby was expecting a litter. I could think of nothing better than having a dog just like Desmo. We brought Bella home and quickly found out that Bella had no intention of being Desmo II (duh). While they did share some characteristics, such as refusing to go outside in the rain and stubbornly locking up at any moment during a walk, usually in the middle of a busy intersection, she completely missed out on the traits I was so looking forward to such as being affectionate and wanting to snuggle up with me on a couch or bed.

Bella is her own dog and does things her own way. She does not give love indiscriminately, it needs to be earned. People are drawn to Lulu because she is pure love and happiness, while Bella is a harder nut to crack.  She is uncomfortable, ill at ease, and nervous around new people and situations. I understand that, I am kind of like that too. I wish I could scoop her up and make it all okay for her, but I can't, as that would be highly uncomfortable for her. There are many times when she does need love and affection, but it is usually in a standing position, in order to hasten a speedy retreat if necessary. 

What Bella is, however, is incredibly loyal. She is my friend. Actually, she is my best friend. We spend an enormous amount of time together, and have since she was a puppy. She knows what I am feeling and vice versa. If we are out hiking and someone approaches that worries me, she will, undoubtedly, growl at them. Not exactly cool, but you get my point.

People say that Ridgebacks attach to one person. I am her person. She loves me unconditionally. For me, it is a different experience to love something that needs you, and it makes me love her even more. I know if something happened to me, Lulu would be just fine, but I don't know that Bella would. Have I made her too dependent on me? Possibly, but it's a little late to change that.

When we got Bella, and then Lulu, we made a commitment to take care of them for the entirety of their lives. It is a commitment that I hope I have to uphold for an incredibly long time, as I cannot imagine my life without the joy that they bring. They are as much a part of my family as my husband, parents, and sister. I feel like, in many ways, Bella and I have grown up together. She has taught me so many lessons, the most important being how to love something/someone for what they are rather than what you want them to be. It is a lesson that, once accepted, makes for a much happier life. I am incredibly grateful for that knowledge. 

I am now going to go over to where she is laying and try and give her a hug. She is going to jump up, possibly growl, and run away thinking, "Geez, hasn't she learned anything yet?" I have, but I still hold out hope. :-)


No comments: