Friday, April 18, 2008

Why I want to be more like my dog.

The Guru

I had an epiphany yesterday. Bella, Lulu, and I went for a little hike at Turkey Creek. It was perfect weather, not too hot, not too cold, with Bella and Lulu running through the trees playing chase. At one point they were a bit far back so I called them to come. I turned around and saw Lulu, not running towards me but HAULING as fast as she could with her little puppy run, mouth hanging open. That is when I got it.

Lulu knows how to live life. Everything she does, she does with extreme enthusiasm. She wakes up, albeit a bit too early for my taste, incredible ready and eager to start the day. She races out of her crate, down the hall, and out the door to go potty then back to the kitchen for breakfast. She literally LEAPS for joy with all four paws off the ground while waiting for her breakfast. We tell her to stop but I am not sure she is physically, or maybe mentally, able to. While she eats her breakfast her tail is going back and forth so hard and fast it is amazing it doesn't throw her off balance.

Then it is time to play. Whether it be with Bella or some poor stuffed thing about to meet it's demise, she goes at it with gusto. She will go all the way down the hallway so that she can turn around and run as fast as she can down the hallway to project herself into the air and onto poor Bella. Then she will try to get onto the couch but, instead of trying to push off with her back legs, she jumps off all four legs sending her straight up and not quite making it to her intended target. That is how she is, all day, everyday. She is like a party waiting to happen. I'm pretty sure that no one has ever said that about me.

Watching her yesterday, chasing Bella around the trees, with no real chance of catching her but not caring one bit, I realized that I really do want to be more like Lulu.

So there it is. Life lessons from a 14 week old puppy who seems to have mastered the secret to happiness. I'll take that. Happily.

No comments: